Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy Birthday Jessipoo!


Happy Birthday Jessica!  I can't believe we are getting so old! :\  Sometimes I still feel like a little kid...don't you?


My sister, Jessica is doing her first Whole 30 challenge...she is about 2 weeks in.  I'm so proud of you!  Last I checked she said she is feeling great.  Even after working 60 hours last week she still has energy to spare! I wanted to make her something special for her birthday and I know she is a chocolate fan.  While this isn't probably exactly "Whole 30" approved...it is Paleo approved...and I thought it would be a good compromise.

I adapted the recipe from one I found from "The Southern Eclectic" - Death By Chocolate Paleo Chocolate Cake.  Her original recipe included agave or honey which I do not typically use.  Several people have been asking about the recipe and wondering if it could be true.  Could you really make a cake with no grains, no sugar, no dairy and it still be worth eating?!

Can I be honest...this is the first cake I have ever made from scratch.  I've never been much of a baker.  But when I had chocolate everywhere and cakes in the freezer cooling (because I was too impatient to let them cool by themselves) and a sink overflowing with dishes (because I wasn't very organized) I just kept thinking of my lovely grandmothers.  I remember baking with them and it brought a smile to my face and a little tear to my eye.  I was always so impressed by them.  And I couldn't help but feeling pretty loved that they took the time to do all "this" and more for everyone.  I kind of got it then...baking is love on a plate. 

I kept trying to remember all their little tips as I was pulling this together....lining the cake pans (I didn't take the time to do that)...How to frost a cake just perfectly (obviously I forgot that part!) As I was putting the finishing touches on the cake and putting the glass lid on it I found myself wondering...Would they be proud of me for creating this...Or would they be shaking their head at me with the ridiculous frosting job...the cracking cakes (because I didn't wait for them to totally cool before taking them out of the pan)...and the complete mess of the kitchen and me wearing half of the batter and frosting.

I decided it would be both! :)  I went to bed with love and admiration in my heart for 3 wonderful ladies.  My Grandma Head, my Grandma McGrew and my beautiful sister, Jessica.  I love, respect and appreciate you all so much!


                                        












Here is the original recipe with my substitutions (as close as possible...some of it I didn't really measure):

3/4 c coconut flour
1/4 c cacao powder
1t sea salt
1t baking soda
10 eggs
1 c grapeseed oil (I used 1/2c coconut oil and 1/4c olive oil)
1 1/2 c agave nectar or honey (I used about a pound of medjoul dates, 1/2c applesauce and a shot of espresso. Thin this out in your food processor.  I just kept adding applesauce until it was about the consistency of what I thought honey might be and about 1 1/2 cups)
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t orange zest (I didn't add this)

1. In a small bowl, combine flour, cacao, salt and baking soda
2. In a large bowl, using an electric hand blender, blend eggs, oil, honey (or Date mixture), vanilla and orange zest
3. Add dry ingredients into large bowl and continue to blend
4. Oil (2) 9-inch cake pans and dust with coconut flour {I use a spray coconut oil from Whole Foods for greasing}
5. Pour batter into pans and bake at 325* for 35-40 minutes
6. Remove from oven, allowing to cool completely then remove from pans
7. Frost and serve

I didn't really follow the Chocolate frosting exactly.  I didn't measure anything out and I used quite a bit of almond butter instead of honey.  But below is the recipe:
Chocolate Frosting
1c dark chocolate chips {the higher % of cocoa the better. Some are in the 40 range, some are in the 60 range, and I try to find at least 72%} (I used some 72% dark chocolate with no sugar added)
1/2 c grapeseed oil (I used coconut oil)
2T agave nectar {same applies as above. Honey worked great} (I used Almond Butter)
1t vanilla extract
Pinch celtic sea salt

1. In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and grapeseed oil
2. Stir in honey, vanilla and salt
3. Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to cool {I had to do close to 30 to get it to whip properly}
4. Remove from freezer and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy
5. Frost over cake and serve
*I would DOUBLE the entire recipe for ample frosting. I barely had enough to cover it in just a thin coat, and some areas were still spotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment