Sunday, July 15, 2012

Paleo Pizza...Wha?!



Well almost...according to some it is Paleo...and on Friday night "almost" is good enough for me! 

So I don't as a general rule eat dairy.  For the past 30 days I have been pretty strict about that. Jessica was doing her first Whole 30 and I was supporting her in that.  She finished on Thursday...Woo-hoo!  Way to go Sis!  I'm proud of you.  When I'm not being super strict I'll have a little dairy (cheese) maybe like once every couple weeks.   It doesn't seem to bother me.  Some people still eat dairy while eating paleo/primal...I guess it is up to you.  I suggest cutting it out for a while and then reintroducing it to see how your body reacts.

So anyway...Kyle and I like to have this one on a Friday night...sit on the couch and maybe watch a movie.  It feels very indulgent...but still quite good for you!

The crust is cauliflower...yep...cauliflower.  I would suggest trying it with your kids.  A good way to get them to eat some veggies.  They don't even need to know!  C'mon...who doesn't love pizza!

Ingredients: The crust: (This makes 2 pizzas!)
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 2 eggs
  • Some mozzarella cheese (I'm not sure how much?  A couple cups at the most.  Sometimes I put very little in it when I'm trying to "be good")
  • Italian Seasoning (to taste)
  • Onion Powder (to taste)
  • Garlic Powder (to taste)

Crust Preparations:
  1. Put cauliflower in food processor. (Or you can grate it...I had to do that a couple times when our food processor died!)
  2. Put cauliflower in microwave for about 7-8 minutes.
  3. Take out and let cool.  This step is important...but SO hard when you are hungry!
  4. Mix together cauliflower, cheese, eggs, and seasonings.
  5. Place half the mixture on a pizza pan (or stone) and push it out until it is a good pizza shape.
  6. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes (until it starts to get golden)

While that is baking...make your sauce. Or you can use a pre-made one...but they usually have sugar in them.

Sauce Ingredients: (somebody might have a really good recipe...I just eyeball things)
  • 1 can Tomato Paste
  • Olive oil
  • A little apple sauce
  • Italian seasonings
  • Onion/Garlic powder to taste

Sauce Preparation:
  1. Mix together and microwave...or prepare on the stove top

When the "crust" is done...top with tomato sauce and whatever toppings you like.  I like to put some Canadian bacon and Zucchini.  I love the crunch of the Zucchini. (Kyle put some pepperoni on his half.) Then top with a little more cheese.

Now put your pizza under the broiler until it starts to get bubbly.  Keep an eye on it. :)  Nothing is more disappointing to getting side-tracked and coming back to burnt pizza!

SO DELICIOUS!! :)  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.  It makes a great breakfast the next day too...Cold pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment