Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Paleo Pulled Pork and Cole Slaw


Last week we had Pulled pork and Cole Slaw along with Grilled Pineapple and Coconut milk.  It was pretty tasty...and different from our usual.  The nice thing about this recipe is I was able to prepare everything the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, pull it out and put it in the oven before we left for work.  Super easy!  All we had to do when we got home was fire up the grill for the pineapple (and when I say "we"...I mean Kyle!) and then shred the pork and put on the sauce.  It made a ton too!  We had lunches for a couple days and were able to share with some friends from church and friends from work.  This would be great for a potluck!  Oh...the pineapple was SO YUMMY!  Can you believe pineapple was only $1 at Fred Meyer?!

I can't remember where I found the original recipes (it might be tagged on Pinterest).  But here is what we did.  It turned out a little too salty for my tastes.  Next time I probably won't put any salt at all!

PALEO PULLED PORK
Pulled Pork Ingredients:
  • 5-6 lbs of pork shoulder or butt roast (Kyle got the meat...not really sure what it was)
  • 3 tbl of smoked paprika
  • 1 tbl garlic powder
  • 1 tbl dry mustard
  • 3 tbl sea salt (I only used 1.5 and still thought it was too salty!)
Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup homemade ketchup
  • 1 cup spicy brown mustard
  • Garlic (you could use the real thing...I'm allergic so I had to use garlic powder)
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp sea salt (I would omit...it was so salty!)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Prepare:
  1. Mix Dry rub ingredients
  2. Rub the pork roast all over and put in fridge (I left it overnight)
  3. Preheat oven to 300
  4. Place the pork in the oven in a baking pan for about 6 hours (until meat is falling apart and tender)
  5. Prepare sauce. Combine ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  6. Remove pork when it is ready - let rest for about 10 minutes then pull the meat apart.
  7. Combine the sauce and pulled pork. (I didn't mix it all together.  I just served it on the side.)

PALEO COLE SLAW
Cole Slaw Ingredients:
  • 1 red cabbage
  • 1 large carrot grated
  • A lot of green onion chopped
  • (You could add onion - but I'm allergic.)
"Sauce" Ingredients:
  • 1 tbl vinegar
  • 3 tbl Olive Oil
  • 1 tbl mustard (I used spicy brown)
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare:
  1. In a large bowl mix together all salad ingredients
  2. Blend together "sauce" ingredients
  3. Mix with salad

No comments:

Post a Comment